Everyone knows Becky. She's your Pumpkin Spice Latte loving, Ugg boot wearing, "Oh Em Gee FALL" squealing girl standing in line ahead of you at Starbucks. Becky is your stereotypical #basic girl. These buns were made for Becky.
They're a fall inspired take on your classic cinnamon rolls. Great for breakfast on the go, but also good when served warm and topped with ice cream for dessert. Plus they're filled with pumpkin...which is a vegetable...which means these are practically a salad...right? No? Okay. They're at least healthy-ish.
Yield: 12 buns
- 1 1/2 cup warm water (about 105-110 F)
- 1/2 teaspoon + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 7 1/2 tablespoons salted butter, softened and divided (4 1/2 + 3)
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided (2 + 2 + 1/2)
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Place warm water and 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle active dry yeast on top and let sit for 5 minutes, until a layer of foam has formed.
- Add light brown sugar, 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, 2 cups flour, and salt to the mixing bowl and mix, using dough hook attachment, for approximately 3 minutes.
- Use a spatula to scrap down the sides of the bowl and add an additional 2 cups of flour. Mix at low-medium speed for about 10 minutes. Continue to add up to 1/2 cup additional flour to create a smooth silky dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Grease or oil a large bowl and place dough inside. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise about 45 minutes. The dough should double in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, pour out dough and gently punch down. Roll out dough into a rectangle (about 18" by 12").
- In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin and maple syrup. In a separate bowl, mix pumpkin spice and remaining granulated sugar. Spread mixture over dough, completely covering. Sprinkle dark brown sugar and pecans over the pumpkin mixture. Finally, sprinkle pumpkin spice-sugar mixture.
- Starting at the longest end, roll dough onto itself, creating a tight spiral. Once all the dough is rolled, you are left with a tube-like form.
- Using a knife or bench scraper, cut 1 1/2 inch segments from the dough roll. Place in a lightly greased 9" by 13" pan.
- Once all rolls have been evenly spaced in the pan, lightly cover in plastic wrap and let rise again for 45 minutes. Towards the end of this rising phase, preheat over to 350 F.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until buns are light browned and the tops sound hollow when tapped.
- Let cool slightly and prepare the glaze. Which together powdered sugar, remaining butter, and orange juice. Add additional powdered sugar if a thicker consistency is desired.
- Drizzle glaze with reckless abandon over warm buns and enjoy!