Yet another sauce you should memorize. It takes all of sixty seconds to make and can really stretch across a few meals. Spread onto toast, toss into pasta, or slide onto a sandwich. What's not made better with pesto? Yields 2 cups.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup almonds
- 80 - 85 grams/3 ounces/6 cups basil leaves
- 1 cup grated/sliced parmesan cheese
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup good-quality olive oil
- Peel the garlic cloves. In a small dry pan, toast the almonds over medium heat until browned and fragrant.
- In a food processor, combine the garlic, almonds, basil, parmesan, and lemon zest. Run on high until a paste forms. Add the lemon juice.
- With the machine running, slowly drizzle in three-quarters of the olive oil. Assess the thickness of the sauce. If it's not thick enough, drizzle in the rest of the oil. Taste for seasoning and store in an airtight jar in the fridge, like a mason jar.