Toasted Brown Rice
Memorize this recipe — it's easy, delicious, and healthy. I make this when I'm trying to be good and not eat bread. This kind of rice is best with something brothy to soak up, like Beans & Greens. Yields 4 servings.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat and toast the rice until it pops and starts to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the stock and salt, then return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. It should be al dente but not crunchy.
- If liquid remains, pour it off and toss the rice constantly over low heat in the dry pan until it dries out a little.