Broccoli Rabe & Mozzarella Flatbread
I dare you to eat just one of these. They're salty, vegetal, cheesy, spicy, and (potentially) healthy. You don't have to make the flatbread yourself, but it only takes 20 minutes and it will give you a crispier base. The sub-recipe for pesto will give you twice as much as you need, so you may want to pick up a box of pasta so you can use the leftover broccoli rabe as well. Enjoy this flatbread as an appetizer or alongside a hearty chicken dinner. The way I see it, all the broccoli rabe counts this as a vegetable. Yields between 4 and 8 flatbreads, depending on size.
- 2c Gluten-free Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8+ tablespoons water
Garlic-Berbere Oil Ingredients:
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 big cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Berbere spice powder
- Generous 2 cups basil leaves
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓+ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Broccoli Rabe topping Ingredients:
- ½ head broccoli rabe
- Flaky sea salt
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, brick or ball
- Combine the gluten-free flour, salt, onion powder, black pepper, and stir to combine. Add 8 tablespoons water and stir to mix. Continue adding water until it forms a ball of dough.
- Get a bowl or a large cup between 4 and 6 inches in diameter. On a heavily floured board, split the dough into four portions and roll each out as thinly as the dough will allow. Keep the board, the dough and the rolling pin very well floured (with the gluten-free flour, of course), as it will stick like crazy and rip. Cut out one or two rounds and repeat.
- Pick the basil leaves from the main stem. Chop the garlic. In a food processor, combine the basil, almonds, parmesan cheese, and garlic. Process on high until well chopped. Slowly pour in olive oil until it forms a thick and homogenous sauce. You may need more than ⅓ cup oil.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Shred the broccoli rabe into strips, rise, and dry well. Set aside. Get out a wire rack and a baking sheet.
- Finely mince or press the garlic cloves. In a small pan, combine the olive oil, garlic, and berbere. Heat over medium-high just until it is warm and the garlic begins to sizzle. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high and brush one side of a flatbread with the garlic-berbere oil. Fry, oil side down, for around 4 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Oil the top side and flip, frying another 4 minutes. As they're done, place each flatbread next to each other on a wire rack. You want them touching, so you'll probably have two rows of three or four.
- Spread a big dollop of pesto on each flatbread, spreading it to the edge. Pile the broccoli rabe across all the flatbread, in one even layer. Sprinkle with a couple big pinches of flaky sea salt. Tear the mozzarella into pieces and spread evenly across the broccoli rabe.
- Carefully place the wire rack right onto an oven grate and place the baking sheet on the grate beneath it to catch drips. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the mozzarella is melty and browned. Slice in half and serve warm.