Watermelon is probably one of my favorite summer flavors; it's so versatile that it can pair well with sweet or savory flavors. One of the more unique pairings is watermelon and basil. These two flavors come together to get a refreshingly subtle twist on the classic watermelon beverage. Add your favorite tequila, and you've got a great summer cocktail...great for your next cookout!
Yields about 4 drinks.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 handfuls fresh basil (about 20-30 leaves)
- 1 pound frozen seedless watermelon
- Juice from 1-2 limes, depending on your preferred tastes
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup tequila, depending on your desired strength (you can also omit this ingredient for a virgin slushy)
- 12 oz. lemon-lime soda
1. Make basil simple syrup: In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine water, granulated and basil leaves. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved and the basil leaves have begun to wilt. Remove basil leaves and set syrup aside to cool.
2. In a blender, combine remaining ingredients plus your desired about to basil simple syrup. I suggest about 3/4 cup, but you can add more if you want it sweeter and less if you don't. Blend until a thick slushy has formed. If the slushy is too thick, add more soda or lime juice.
3. Pour into a mason jar, garnish with a lime wedge and basil leaf, and enjoy!