This easy marinade is a south-of-the-border gateway drug. It's easy enough to make on a weeknight, but flavorful and complex enough to serve for your next cookout bash. It's also open to endless variations of both ingredients and technique, so you can make your own signature OGC marinade. Yields enough marinade to cover 2½ to 3 pounds of meat.
- 1 medium Vidalia onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- As many chile peppers as you like, at least 1
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup neutral acid
- Zest and juice of a lime
- Peel and large-chop the onion. Peel the garlic. De-rib and de-seed the chiles if desired.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor into a paste. Marinate meat as long as desired. When grilling, shake off most of the marinade, leaving some to char.