Mouth of Flowers Rub
Is this spice blend strong? Yes. Is it incredibly delicious? Absolutely. Is its name strange? Um, yes. It's best paired with cuisines that have historically fragrant meat dishes like Middle Eastern, Moroccan, and South African. Rub a tenderloin of beef, mix into kofta, or grind into sausage. No matter what you do with it, you'll be blown away by this harmonious blend. Yields about ⅓ cup rub.
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender
- 3 large bay leaves
- In a small pan over medium heat, toast all ingredients until aromatic and cardamom pods are very lightly browned, about 5-8 minutes. Shake frequently to avoid scorching.
- When cool, grind to a powder in a spice mill. Store in a small airtight container for a month.