These are the ribs you've been searching for. No sauce, no fuss, no attention necessary. The secret is of course the super low temperature, which cooks them until the bone slips right out. If you're so inclined, feel free to char them on the grill or under the broiler after they're cooked. Feel free to add your own flair to this simple but addictive rub.
- 2½ - 3 pounds St. Louis Style Spare Ribs
Rub ingredients per rack of ribs:
- Lots of salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 scallions
- Preheat oven to 275ºF with a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry each rack of ribs. Remove any large deposits of fat. Set a metal cooling rack or roasting rack inside a sheet tray and place the ribs on top.
- Sprinkle each rack of ribs very liberally with salt and pepper, rubbing thoroughly into both sides of the meat.
- Rub the rosemary, fennel seeds and red pepper flakes into both sides of the meat, reserving a little to just sprinkle on top. Really rub the seasonings into the meat with some force.
- If large, halve scallions lengthwise. Place one scallion under each rack, and two on top.
- Tightly wrap each sheet tray with aluminum foil and roast for at least 3 hours, up to 4.
- If desired, char on a very hot grill or under the broiler.