I can't think of anything more summery than popsicles. And come summertime, we eat cantaloupe like it's going out of style. These popsicles are straight up melon, no filler, and that's exactly how cantaloupe should be enjoyed. To pick the ripest cantaloupe, you should be able to smell its heady, musky aroma a foot in front of your face — if you can't smell it, don't buy it! Yields 9 Zoku popsicles, your mileage may vary.
- ½ very ripe cantaloupe
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup simple syrup
- Prepare your popsicle maker and sticks according to its directions.
- Seed the cantaloupe and cut the rind off as closely as possible. Dice and put into a bowl, food processor or blender.
- Blend the cantaloupe with the salt, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of the simple syrup until totally smooth.
- If desired, pass through a fine mesh sieve.
- Taste for sweetness — you want it to be sweeter than you might normally like.
- Chill purée very well and freeze into popsicles according to your maker's directions.
- To store, wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the freezer.