I love s'mores. Especially if the marshmallow has been seriously torched. Since I don't always have access to an open flame, I decided to make a s'mores cupcake. Now, you can definitely make this using a traditional Hershey's bar...and there's nothing wrong with a classic. But I highly suggest...no, I strongly implore you to try s'mores using Nutella. Yes, I said it. Close your mouth. This recipe will use a Nutella ganache for its chocolate element, but you can use a regular chocolate if you like.
For this cupcake, you will make a chocolate cupcake as your base. We suggest using our Anything But Basic Chocolate Cupcakes recipe.
Yields 24 cupcakes.
- 24 chocolate cupcakes
- 3/4 cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread (substitute about 2 standard sized candy bars if not using Nutella for some reason)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 oz. marshmallow fluff
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 graham crackers, finely ground
- 12 large marshmallows
- Make Nutella ganache: Scoop nutella in a medium bowl. Heat cream and corn syrup in small saucepan (or in the microwave) just until it begins to boil. Pour over Nutella and whisk until smooth. Stir in kosher salt and set aside to cool slightly.
- Make Marshmallow Frosting: Beat butter and powdered sugar in a stand mixer (using the paddle attachment) until fluffy and well mixed. Add vanilla extract and marshmallow fluff and mix by hand, using a silicone spatula. Add to a piping bad and set aside.
- Brûlée the marshmallows: Cut each marshmallow in half and place on a film lined baking sheet. With the broiler set on high, brûlée marshmallows in the oven for about 2 minutes, or until they begin to bubble and the tops have browned. You can use a torch for this step, but I don't have one so I used my oven's broiler.
- Assemble cupcakes: Take each cupcake and carefully dip the tops in the ganache. You only want to get enough on the cupcake to cover the top; shake off any excess. Then, with the graham cracker crumbs spread onto a plate, dip the ganache covered cupcakes in the crumbs, completely coating the ganache. Next, pipe a dollop of the marshmallow frosting onto the center top of the cupcake. Finally, top with a brûléed marshmallow half.