Michelle Cara Cara
Back in the day, Michelle Visage's ball category was face. The queens used to yell "Cara!" at her, which means "face" in Spanish. She took that, changed it to Visage (French for "face"), and the legend was born. Like Michelle, this drink is tart, sweet, bitter and spicy — it hits all the right notes. Yields 4 normal drinks or 2 generous ones.
- 5 slices ginger
- 2 Cara Cara or Navel oranges
- 1½ ounces tequila
- 1½ ounces ginger syrup
- Fizzy beverage such as Prosecco, optional
Ginger Syrup Ingredients — yields about 1½ cups:
- 6 ounces ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
Ginger Syrup Instructions:
- Peel any nasty bits from the ginger root, slice thinly and add to a pot with the sugar and water. Simmer to dissolve the sugar, then cool.
- Store with the ginger in the syrup for a stronger flavor.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the ginger with the strained juice of the oranges.
- Add the tequila, syrup, and ice. Shake well and serve in a coupe glass garnished with an orange peel and a slice of ginger.
- If desired, top up with a fizzy beverage.