This dressing is very easy to balance according to your tastes, which makes it a good one to memorize. You may want more acidity, so add more lime. Or maybe you like it sweeter, so add a bit more sugar. Perhaps you like it nuttier, so add more sesame oil — or try a dollop of peanut butter. It will keep very well for a few days, and the flavor is even better the next day.
- 3-inch knob ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small shallot
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of at least 3 limes (you may need 1 more)
- ⅓ cup neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Peel and finely mince the ginger, you will need 1 tablespoon. Finely mince the shallot, you will need 1 tablespoon. Finely mince the garlic clove.
- Whisk all ingredients vigorously to dissolve the sugar and emulsify. Taste for balance; it may need more lime juice, tamari, or sugar.
- If garnishing with sesame seeds, lightly toast before use.