***Flawless Chocolate Frosting
This is hands-down the BEST chocolate frosting I've ever had. I would eat it by the bowl and I don't even like chocolate. It's a smoother than your average buttercream and the chocolate flavor is so rich that you'll think you've died and become Beyoncé.
Yields enough frosting for 24 cupcakes or an 8" double layer cake.
- 2 cups unsweetened natural cocoa
- 4 cups powdered sugar, divided (2+2)
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder (optional...but I definitely recommend it)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 sticks salted butter, very soft
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Sift cocoa, 2 cups powdered sugar, and espresso powder through a strainer into a medium mixing bowl in order to remove any lumps.
- Bring heavy cream to a simmer on the stovetop (you can also microwave it, but watch carefully). Whisk warmed cream and corn syrup into cocoa mixture, creating a thick paste. Continue whisking until smooth. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine softened butter, remaining powdered sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on a low speed, slowly add 'chocolate paste' and mix until well incorporated.
- Scrape the bowl and continue beating for 1 minute. If you prefer a thicker frosting, add powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
- Grab spoon and begin eating...I mean, frost your cake.
Adapted from Sift's Super Simple Chocolate Frosting.