This is such a simple way to cook fish that it almost doesn't warrant a recipe. Because the salmon is the star, try to get the best-quality salmon you can. Look for vibrant coral-colored flesh with distinct white lines of fat at regular intervals. The flesh should be smooth and unblemished, while the skin should be shiny and gray.
Tare is a great compliment for a fatty fish like salmon, but if you can't make it, soy sauce cut with a little water or mirin will work.
- ¾ pound salmon filet, skin on
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 4 tablespoons Tare sauce
- Season both sides of salmon lightly with salt, but more heavily with pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe pan with the oil over medium-high heat. Place salmon in pan flesh side down, reduce heat to medium, and cook about 5 to 6 minutes until well browned.
- Flip and cook another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Baste flesh side of salmon with tare, flip, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more until deeply browned and charred. Baste skin side, flip, and cook a final 3 to 4 minutes. Baste flesh side once more. Serve immediately.